Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Books for Arkhangelsk Variation? (Read 31542 times)
Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Re: Books for Arkhangelsk Variation?
Reply #5 - 04/08/12 at 19:02:06
Post Tools
I do not undersrtand why the Breyer would be considered boring, but the Arkhangelsk Variation is not boring either. In any case I see 6...Bc5 more often, I suppose this is the Neo-Arkhangelsk, with the line where Black sacrifices the b5-pawn and plays ...Bg4?

Creo lo que creo no importa lo que creen los demás.

IP Logged

Pantu
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/08/12 at 09:12:39
Post Tools
There are also a Chessbase DVD:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=5768

gives the "pure" Arkhangelsk with 6...Bb7.  I always held Beliavsky to be one of the experts here, and Mikhalchishin has been his long time second as well as playing it a great deal himself.

Shirov has apparently explained on one of his DVDs that 6...Bb7 is inaccurate because of 7 d3 with the idea that the Bb7 has been prematurely placed there since e4 is solidly defended.  On the other hand, white has played 7 d3 Wink so black shouldn't have too much to fear (the Anti-Marshall lines also seem to prove this).

I can't resist posting this classic though Smiley

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 04/08/12 at 08:51:12
Post Tools
Well 2000 is pre strong computers and its awfully tactical in places, so..... Rather less games with 6.. Bb7 recently I think, mostly because they've been going 6.. Bc5 instead. 7 d3 typically seems to get the blame for that.
(tons of games in 6 ..Bc5 of course. See say Shirov recently.).

It is perhaps a fraction odd because it doesn't even have the slightly (unfair?) dull thing that the Breyer has going on to count against it.

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Reply #2 - 04/08/12 at 00:25:39
Post Tools
Thanks, I found the Everyman book on it herehttp://www.everymanchess.com/chess/books/Archangel_and_New_Archangel, but it says published 2000, so I am not sure how much the theory has changed. I suppose this variation is similar to the Breyer in that there are not many books on it.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 04/07/12 at 09:19:27
Post Tools
There's a rather old Everyman book and a little coverage in revolution in the 70's. Otherwise not sure either for this, or for the early Bc5 stuff.

An advantage in a way if you use chesspub and databases to put things together Smiley

IP Logged

Gilchrist is a legend
God Member

Books for Arkhangelsk Variation?
04/07/12 at 09:02:44
Post Tools
What are some books that cover the Arkhangelsk Variation of the Spanish?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo